Peruvian Feast at Cora Cora Restaurant
Months ago, I snatched up a Groupon for Cora Cora Restaurant and recently had the chance to check it out. As expected, this proved to be quite the blogworthy meal.
Tucked away on Shield Street in West Hartford (in the same plaza as Adong and Pho Boston), Cora Cora cooks up a variety of South American specialties that boast the unique flavors and spices of traditional Peruvian cuisine. I first visited on a chilly, rainy “spring” day, and although the menu offers an extensive list of appetizers, chicharrones, soups, and chicken/beef/seafood dishes, I couldn’t shake the craving for tangy, summery ceviche.
After very little deliberation, I settled on the Ceviche Mixto: A fresh, flavorful amalgamation of octopus, mussels and clams marinated in tart lime juice with onions and cilantro– all beautifully garnished with toasted Peruvian corn and sweet potato over lettuce. To complement and offset the tangy ceviche, I also ordered a side of sweet plantains (platano maduro), which were predictably luscious.
One of my dining companions ordered and enjoyed the rich, savory Camarones al Ajillo: Shrimp sautéed in a creamy Peruvian garlic and wine sauce, served with rice and fried potatoes. I was the happy recipient of her leftovers.
Since I plan on returning to Cora Cora sooner than later, here’s a peek at some menu highlights that made it to my “To Eat” list:
- I’ve heard tasty rumors about this “don’t knock it til you try it” dish: Anticuchos: Grilled diced cow heart skewer seasoned with Peruvian spices. Served with Peruvian corn and fried potatoes.
- Rachi: Grilled beef tripe marinated in special Peruvian spices. Served with fried potatoes and Peruvian corn.
- Chupe de Camarones al Estilo Coracora: Originated in the beautiful town of Coracora, a delicious shrimp soup with fresh vegetables, Peruvian herbs and spices, cheese, milk, eggs and Peruvian corn.
- Causa Rellena: Peruvian-style mashed potatoes seasoned with fresh lemon, yellow chili pepper, and filled with your choice of shrimp or chicken breast. Served with sliced avocados, eggs and black olives.
- Papa a la Huancaina: Cora Cora’s specialty Peruvian appetizer: a bed of sliced potatoes drizzled with Peruvian cheese sauce, garnished with black olives, sliced hard-boiled eggs and lettuce.
Cora Cora Restaurant
162 Shield Street West Hartford, CT 06110